Sunday, September 7, 2014

Stuffed Peppers

On Sundays, Howard and I do some veggie and fruit shopping in Chinatown after church service and Sunday School. Each week, I kept seeing huge peppers and was thinking about stuffed peppers each time! I've enjoyed the Stouffer's stuffed peppers a few times in my life, and those are frozen, so I had very high hopes for making them myself and devouring them!


We chose 4 large red ones since they seem to bother me a lot less than green ones in terms of acidic content and because the yellow ones weren't perfectly sized the way these were. I followed the recipe on Betty Crocker found here


Even though the recipe required 1 cup of cooked rice, I accidentally measured it as 1 cup of uncooked rice. I ended up having a lot of the mixture leftover. It actually could have fit in 2 more peppers if I had them. Instead of using salt for seasoning, I used Creole seasoning instead for a bit of a kick. Howard and I have been loving it since we started using it; his sister and her husband bought it for us when they went on a trip to New Orleans before their baby was born. I also had to use 2 cups of pasta sauce for the mixture because it was dry with the extra rice, so that was an entire jar.


When they came out of the oven, they looked so good! Since we didn't have mozzarella, I threw on some Kraft Mexican shredded cheese, which has a combo of different cheeses in it. Of course, once it was sliced in half, I wanted to throw some more cheese on it because, well, CHEESE! We both really enjoyed it, and I will definitely make it again during the school year because it wasn't difficult at all. Plus, making 4 peppers means that we will both have leftovers for lunch the next day. I will, however, boil the peppers a bit longer next time so that they're more tender.

No comments:

Post a Comment