Saturday, January 15, 2011

A Look Into the Past

(I wrote this on April 13, 2009.  I posted it on my private blog, but I thought it'd be funny to share it now!  I think the pictures are particularly funny because we look like little babies!)



One of the best (and funniest!) things to do sometimes is think about how much Howard and I have grown. I figured that having a new blog would give me plenty of opportunity to get it down on "paper" for future reference! Soon we'll be old and the wrinkles we gain will be on our foreheads and not so much in our brains so documenting these things is important, in my opinion. 

When Howard first started attending TIG, he would always hang around the 4th floor bulletin board with his sister, Sharon. Interestingly, many of us thought that they were actually boyfriend and girlfriend because of the way they constantly whispered to each other! I remember goingover to talk to them with Dani since they were new, and we wanted to get to know them a bit more. We asked if they were going to go to the summer retreat, but they were still a bit unresponsive. This was when we were all still in high school. Haha, funny thing related to this ... at that time, Kyler and Irving actually thought his name was Powell!

I think the first time I really noticed Howard was when my brother, Jon, wanted the people in Colleers (college and early career) to actually teach the group. He had teamed up Ken with Howard. Although Ken did most of the talking, I distinctly remember how Howard was leaning against the column in the basement and interjecting here and there. I thought he was cute! I very casually sent him an email that I happen to still have saved!

Hey Howard,


Just wanted to say that I think you did a great job leading Sunday School today. I wish you had spoken more 'cuz you had great and insightful things to say and you seemed so calm! I totally commend you for doing it though 'cuz I don't know if I'dhave the guts to do it. May God bless you for the rest of this week!
<3
Rae

He did write back to me and when I replied to his email, I included this little gem at the end:

SoOo, now tell me something interesting about yourself since (1) you hardly write in xanga and (2) it's true I hardly know you since I so sucked at your test.

See, in all the reading I had done in those wonderful resources I had at the time (you know, Seventeen, YM, and CosmoGirl), I knew that asking a question that required a response longer than "yes" or "no" was the way to go. If he replied back, then we were ready to go! And thankfully, he did respond!

We began emailing quite frequently. Our subject titles were usually quotations from movies so even if we didn't have much to say, we still had a little game going on of "Guess the Movie!" Of course, Powell's ... I mean, Howard's movies were obscure ... well, at least to me they were, seeing as I don't really watch movies. Our friendship grew very quickly and I couldn't help wonder, "Hmm, is this a guy I can see myself dating?"
 Well, obviously you can tell that I could definitely see myself dating him! Now I can definitely see myself marrying him!

Hehe. 
The picture at the top of this post is actually the first one we took together. It was at the TIG Graduation Banquet. I think it's funny how much our heads grew! Howard looks like a little baby there. And please don't mind the lack of eyeliner! You can also tell this is before I started getting really sick because my face was even chubbier than it is now! He showed up and we sat at the same table with Dani too. She was the one who took the picture below ... 


I still remember the thoughts I had in my head when Dani took this. "I like this guy ... I like this guy ..." Funny ... those are the same thoughts I have in my head right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment