Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Summer Lovin' Had Me a Blast

One of my favorite movies growing up was actually Grease!  I don't know why I loved it so much.  The plot line is actually really terrible when you think about it because at the end of the movie, Sandy changes who she is just to get Danny's attention!  Despite that, I still loved the songs and the wacky one-liners (ex. "A hickey from Kenickie's like a Hallmark card, when you care enough to send the very best.").  And of course, who can forget the final scene of the movie when Danny and Sandy sit in the car and drive away before it suddenly starts floating up into the air!  Well, as you can see, that was the inspiration for this funky card!



The car is from Nifty Fifties, which was one of the cartridges I knew I "had" to have when I first saw it.  I'm sure I've said it before, but I belong in the 50s.  I would've loved living during that time period!  I cut it out at 2.75 inches if I remember correctly.  I know I wasn't that original because I used the colors that are shown in the handbook.  It was only after I had it all cut out that I thought of Grease mainly because I was searching for a sentiment and came across "Summer Lovin" in Pink by Design's "Simply Everything" set!   


It all fell in place after I picked the sentiment.  I thought of the scene, and used a random cloud shape cut out of scrap paper, some random foam, and Distress Ink in Broken China to make the clouds in the background.


After I took the pictures, I actually tried Glossy Accents for the first time for the windshield.  WOW, that stuff is amazing!  I wasn't sure if I was going to mess up the card, but it came out pretty nice.  The silly thiing that I did was leave the black steering wheel uncovered.  Haha, in most cars I've seen, the steering wheel is also behind the windshield, so that should've been covered too!  I did fix it later on, but it wasn't as smooth.  Now I know for next time!

Here are the challenges that I'm entering:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -


Weekly linking party at You Had Me @ Craft!  I love these linking parties because it really gives you a chance to find new bloggers to follow! I have a TON already in Google Reader, but when I finish going through them all, I'm always sad and want more.  Join in for some fun!

24 comments:

  1. Oh so cute! I love Grease too - definitely one of my favorites.

    Thank you so much for joining us at Scrappy Moms Stamps! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute card!! I have to agree with you about the '50s, such a fun time. TFS!
    Laurie
    scrapsbysissy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome! Love your stamped background and that car rocks. :)

    I love the movie Grease too! Great when you need a good dose of cheesiness!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super cute! You could have used "We Go Together" too! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rachel!
    Thanks for your comment on my blog re: etsy! I appreciate it.
    I love your card and I, too, LOOOVEED the movie Grease. I think I saw it like six times at the theater (of course that was when movies didn't cost $10+!) I totally agree with you and have always thought it was a bad message for Sandy to change who she was to get the guy. Oh well, it's a fun movie anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  6. such a cute card!!! Thanks so much for participating in the Link-Up party on my blog!! :) I'm your newest follower!!

    Candace
    scrappin2littleprincesses.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really adorable! I love the "summer loving" sentiment!
    Hugs, Jenni
    http://mylollipopgarden.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE THIS CARD! I need to use that cartridge! YOU HAVE INSPIRED ME! I am looking forward to your future creativity! I am a new follower coming from the Link Up party and would be honored if you would check out my blog and do the same! http://acreativejourneywithmelissa.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love Grease, also! Whenever I see it, I'm totally surprised with how the lyrics have stayed with me all these years! Super cute card that says "Summer loving...."

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a cute card!

    Robin
    www.scrapandchat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Rachel, great card creations. I'm popping in from Candace's Link Up Party and am now a new follower. ~Shen

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Rachel! I left you a comment on the Pink By Design Community Board, but I just had to stop by your blog and tell you how much I LOVE this card!It is really just cute as can be! I also became a follower so that I can keep up with all your wonderful creations!

    Tanya - http://nonnascraftcorner.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. this is too stinkin' cute! you just brought me back to being 12! thanks for playing with us at Scrappy Moms Stamps!
    liz

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is such a great card! Grease was one of my favorite movies too. Perfect sentiment with the car! I'm a new follower. :)

    Karen
    craftedwithlovebykaren.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. What an amazing card! I love classic old cars, especially this model! I would love to own this in pink too :)

    Rachel, your my Riley and Company Blog Hop winner! Please email me to claim your stamp :)
    Thank you!

    hugs, margie
    (thebumblegirl at rocketmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am joining your blog from the “Scrappin’ 2 Little Princess” link up party. I hope you will take the time to visit my blog as well. http://scrappingrookie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your car reminds me of the movie Grease...when they fly off at the end. Love the movie and your card. : ) Thanks for the birthday input. It sure will help us decide.

    Georgiana
    Carson's Creations

    ReplyDelete
  18. Moral of the story: Act slutty and you'll get the boy! Haha, it was one of my favorite movies growing up! I love how you did the background, it looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful card, definitely fab n funky!
    Hugs
    Tracey
    x

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is so fun - and definitely looks like something from Grease!! I actually never saw Grease until about 6 years ago!! I knew all the songs growing up though. I'm glad you could make a card that gave you good memories (even though you realize now that the plot leaves something to be desired)!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great Card. Summer Lovin ~ "Had me a blast"
    http://lorisartsyobsession.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love your pink Cadillac! Sure does remind me of Grease! I love that movie too! Now I will be humming Summer Lovin' for the rest of the day! lol!
    Hugs,
    Georgia

    ReplyDelete
  23. Eek! I love it! Love how you made the backgound, too...I thought it was patterned paper at first.

    ReplyDelete