Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Challenge: Simon Says ... Lemon & Lavender!

The current challenge over at the Simon Says Stamp! Challenge Blog is to make a project using the colors lavender and lemon.  This is the first challenge I've ever done that had something to do with color, and I thought it'd be easy, but challenges are never that easy for me, haha!  What was easy is that they encouraged using a Penny Black stamp (not required though), and I do have a set of them!  It helped me narrow down what I was going to do.  The following stamp is from the Hugs set.    


I stamped the image with StazOn Jet Black ink and then colored it in using chalk.  These images, in my opinion, are perfect with chalk because they have a softer look to them AND I have an older rubber stamping book that explained how to use chalk using a Penny Black image!  Haha, I guess it stuck with me.  I then used the 3rd and 4th largest dies in the Nestabilities Labels One set.  The 3 yellow pieces were embossed using the Cuttlebug D'vine Swirls folder.  I haven't embossed in a while, so I knew I wanted to add that on the card.  The sentiment from Pink by Design's "Love Always" set was attached to the card using eyelets and my Crop-a-Dile.


To create more of a color contrast, I used my Distress Ink in Dusty Concord to ink the edges.  I'm glad I did that because if I didn't, I think it'd look a little too plain.  However, I did accidentally smudge a little on the white part of the card, so that's why I decided to add Stickles to the outline of the white piece!  I'm happy with that added on too.  I wanted to add more yellow, so I took a Bic Mark-It and added stitch lines around the outside.  I actually did a dash and then a dot, so it's different than my typical "only dashes" thing.  The last thing I did was put the image on the card with the flattest foam adhesive squares I had just to give it the slightest bit of dimension.  I can't believe I was still able to put a card together for a challenge despite feeling under the weather!  It did, in fact, cheer me up.  Crafting ... it's what the doctor ordered!

(Click here to be taken to the actual blog post for this particular challenge!  I'm linked as #7!)

8 comments:

  1. if only REAL mice were this cute I'd hug them too! I love everything about this card - so many diff techniques too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @kay: Thanks! I always go to chalk when it comes to these types of images just because they're furry little guys. I kept chalking outside the lines though, but that's what I love about it ... it erases well with a white eraser!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love love love the stamp you chose for this card! Very cute :) Thanks for sharing your work with Simon Says Stamp!

    Thank you!
    :) Fran
    Simon Says Stamp

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! I loved the embossed panels.

    Thanks for sharing with Simon Says Stamp!

    -Liz

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Fran and Liz: Thanks! I had fun entering the challenge! I don't think this will be my only challenge. It's going to be a fun summer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this card Rachel! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is just darling! I love that image and you did a wonderful job with colors! I hope you are feeling better this week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Berenice: Thank you!

    @My 3 E Scrapbooking: Thank you! I like chalks so much because I can erase any mistakes. I wish all coloring had that option! And I am feeling better this week although I'm still sick (as is my mom!).

    ReplyDelete