Monday, August 25, 2014

It's Christmas!!!

Yesterday Howard and I went over to his sister's house for a barbecue because more of their relatives were in town to meet Toby. I'll possibly write a bit more about that some other time if I can get pictures from hubs, but for now, here's a picture of some of the BEAUTIFUL tomatoes that we got from my sis-in-law and her husband! It's funny that despite the language barrier between his parents and me, they still know things about like including how much I just love love love homegrown tomatoes.


My mom used to grow tomatoes in the backyard, and I would go outside and pick them for her when we saw some red peering through the green leaves. We put them in salads, but most of them were eaten just off the vine. If the tomato wasn't very flavorful, we would add a pinch of salt to them. Often times I'd eat them as if I were eating an apple! I used to wonder why my mom took the time to garden when it was hot outside, but once I started enjoying them as as snack, it made much more sense.

I hope to one day have room to grow some tomatoes too! They're just so delicious compared to the tomatoes at the supermarket that can sometimes be a little bit watery and bland. I'm so grateful that my in-laws have the room to grow them and are more than willing to share with us! 

No comments:

Post a Comment