Wednesday, March 12, 2014

And Once Again, Roasting!

After having a delicious experience roasting zucchini and then asparagus, I really was serious when I said I was ready to roast EVERYTHING! At first, the desire to roast was more about the ease of just tossing the veggies with some olive oil, salt, and pepper and leaving it in the oven. Minimal preparation time and minimal cook time is a great plus when you have a rather small kitchen and a lack of space on the stove. But Howard and I are clearly just addicted to it because it tastes so good! The roasting brings out all these intense flavors that you can't really draw out just by using the stove.

One of the more recent vegetables that we tried was carrots. I had baby carrots on hand because when they're on sale, I like to grab a bag so I can have a snack during the day. I don't really have a sweet tooth, but I definitely have a bad habit of wanting salty potato chips or tortilla chips and salsa. For me, carrots are actually a pretty good replacement for any bad-for-me snacks because I get the crunchiness that I really enjoy. Considering we had them in the fridge, it was only natural that I'd want to roast those too!


The directions are pretty much the same for the majority of the vegetables, but I still like having a recipe to follow because I know the oven temperature can vary. They came out really good! The sweetness of the carrot was really noticeable. We had used some in salad a few days earlier, so I could tell there was a difference between the raw and roasted. Because we had so many of the green veggies lately, I was really looking forward to a different taste, and this definitely satisfied my craving for something a little different. I'm curious to know how these veggies would taste with some Cajun seasoning! Maybe next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment