Saturday, May 10, 2014

Not Quite a Mom

When I subbed yesterday, the last class of the day was spent with the 8th grade. They were finishing up the dialogues they had written in preparation for their trip to a Spanish restaurant next week. Nearing the end of the period, there was a knock on the door. It was the new Pre-K teacher with all of the kiddos! They were going to each classroom and giving flowers to the teachers. How adorable!


Though I'm not a mother yet, I still feel that to some degree all teachers are moms in some way. It's not even because the students sometimes accidentally call us mom (haha, two years ago an 8th grader said, "Mommy, look!" to me), but it's because after spending so much time with them, they really do become "our kids." I know that even during this past year when I haven't actually been a full-time teacher at school, I still caught myself saying things like, "My kids ..." even though they're technically not mine anymore! There are times that I've been so proud of what they've accomplished or so happy when they show kindness, but of course, there were other moments when they just got on my last nerve! I guess it's all just preparation for my possible future, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment